We are excited to offer this growing ad format to our publishers. Please find below a guide to installing the code into your site in 3 stages!
Create a new Ad Zone
First go to the Sites & Zones tab and click New Zone.
There is a drop down menu listing all your websites, select which one you want to place the in-stream ad zone.
Click on the Video drop-down menu and select In-Stream and click Next.
On the next page we break it down in steps for you:
Edit the in-stream ad zone features
- Your Site name will appear above the edit options, which you set in the previous steps.
- Name - personalise the ad zone name to suit your own needs (at least 5 characters long).
- Category (default) - this is automatically selected based on the category of the site you selected in the previous step.
- Subcategory (optional)- We recommend that, unless you want to run In-Stream videos on a gay site, you do not select a subcategory so you maximise your earning potential.
- Frequency -We recommend you set this to "Every hour", as it tends to generate good results . As a maximum we suggest no greater than Every 15 minutes, depending on the visit length and video views per visit.
- "Skip" Button - The industry standard is a setting of 5 seconds. We strongly recommend you do not disable the skip option, as it may lead to advertisers blacklisting your ad zone(s), in addition to disrupting your traffic due to negative viewer experiences!
- VAST Wrapper Support - By default the VAST Wrapper Support box is ticked by default. Disable this if your video player does not support third-party VAST tags (VAST wrappers)
Toggle on the "Fallback HTML" button to set the Floor CPM
- Floor CPM - This gives you the option to set the minimum floor price you will accept for the ad zone. with an additional soft or hard option- see the screenshot below for an explanation of the differences.
Caution: If this is the first time you have used "In-stream" we strongly recommend you do not use this option, until you've checked your statistics for several days, otherwise you may not receive any advertising to the ad zone!
In this section you can block by Ad type and/or by Specific Product.
Block Ad type
This allows you to block advertising based on the audience for your traffic. So if you run a gay site for example, you probably will not want to have advertising specifically targeting straight visitors. So you can block the "Target Audience - Straight" from your ad zone to prevent this. "General" advertising is that which promotes a product suitable for all visitors!
Block Specific Products
You are also able to block specific product types that you do not wish to appear in the ad zone.
Note: Blocking too many products, can result in no ads appearing, or reduce your revenues significantly!
Once these steps are completed click Save & Preview.
Selecting your Video Player
In order to be given the correct code to insert into your site select from the drop down, the most relevant Video Player you are already using on your site. If you don't have one yet we suggest using Fluid Player as it will be 100% compatible with our ad codes.
Integration code and example
Once you've selected your video player you will get a VAST tag to add, and an example of how to implement it based on your selected player.
Note: The id zone number generated will be a unique number for you when you create your zone.
Structure of the VAST XML
The VAST XML is the response to the video player, containing a set of instructions, so that the player knows which ads to display and how to display them. Below, is a sample structure of a VAST XML response. The VAST specification is very flexible regarding ad types, ways of displaying them and registering events. Currently we support the following instructions, represented in the sample XML:
- Ad: Top-level element wraps each ad in the response
- InLine: Second-level element surrounding complete ad data for a single ad
- Optionally displaying a SKIP button, which can be initially disabled for a given number of seconds.
- Wrapper: Second-level element surrounding wrapper ad pointing to Secondary ad server
- AdSystem: Indicates source ad server
- AdTitle: Common name of ad
- Impression: URI to track impression. The ad server provides an impression-tracking URI for either the InLine ad or the Wrapper using the impression element. All URIs in the InLine response and any Wrapper responses preceding it should be triggered at the same time when the impression for the ad occurs, or as close in time as possible to when the impression occurs, to prevent impression-counting discrepancies. Example of Impression URI:
- Error: this URL is used by the video player to report various problems while trying to display an ad. The VAST-compatible players automatically replace the [ERRORCODE] placeholder with an appropriate error code.
- Creatives: Container for one or more video as creatives
- Skipoffset : Optionally displaying a SKIP button, which can be initially disabled for a given number of seconds.
- TrackingEvents: URI(s), used by the video player to track various events that took place while playing the video ad.
Tracking event progress: event of displaying 10 seconds of the video ad at normal speed. Example of event progress URI:
- VideoClicks - ClickThrough: URI to open as destination page when user clicks on the video ad. Example of event progress URI:
- MediaFiles: Location of linear file
VAST Coding Example
<Creative sequence="1" id="1">
<Tracking event="progress" offset="00:00:10.000"><![CDATA[http://main.exoclick.com/view.php?tracking_event=progress&progress=00:00:10.000&idzone=0000000]]></Tracking>
<MediaFile delivery="progressive" type="video/mp4"><![CDATA[http://static.exoclick.com/00000000/videos/00000/sample_video.mp4]]></MediaFile>
VAST Wrapper Coding Example
<AdSystem>Sample Ad Wrapper</AdSystem>
<Creative sequence="1" id="1">
<Tracking event="progress" offset="00:00:10.000"><![CDATA[http://main.exoclick.com/view.php?tracking_event=progress&progress=00:00:10.000&idzone=0000000]]>
Click HERE for part 2 of this tutorial.
If your player is not listed, please contact our Client Care team selecting "Technical Assistance" from the contact form here!